1.15.2009

Ahh memories, bitter (cold) memories ...

The Indianapolis Star is reporting that our low of -10 tonight will be the coldest since 1994. This brings back long repressed memories of The Day That Warmth Forgot.

I was a sophomore at IU, there was a boatload of snow on the ground, and everyone was grumbling that classes should be canceled due to terrible weather. I waited all morning, but class was still a go. I had a cognitive psychology exam that day, so blowing it off and staying in bed wasn't an option. The radio was reporting wind chills as low as -25, but nonetheless I wrapped up in every cold weather accessory I owned and headed out to catch the bus to campus. I've never been so cold in my life. My two pairs of socks, leggings under my jeans, and scarf wrapped double around my ears were no match for the bitterly cold wind. The walk from the bus stop to the psych building was pure, unadulterated misery.

The kicker? When I arrived, I learned that they finally had the sense to cancel classes for the first time in the school's history .... while I was in transit. Urgh.

2 comments:

Toyoki said...

No good deed (or intention) goes unpunished!

casch said...

I can recall some of those awful, awful cold days of winter. I was raised in western PA. yuk. I've been gone longer than I lived there~hooray!