2.25.2009

Et tu, Michelle?

The good news? The US will be getting a First Dog in April.

The bad news? It won't be named Moose.

As Michelle Obama told People magazine:

"Oh, the names are really bad. I don't even want to mention it, because there are names floating around and they're bad. You listen and you go – like, I think, Frank was one of them. Frank! Moose was another one of them. Moose. I said, well, what if the dog isn't a moose? Moose. I'm like, no, come on, let's work with the names a little bit."

When I was little, the parents got me a dog. Granted, I wanted a terrier, and it was a poodle, but nonetheless, I was happy to have my dog at last. Disappointment came when my suggestions for naming the dog were shot down and replaced with more "acceptable" names. Decades later, my poor dad will still hear, "And you didn't let me name the dog Susan!"

I think the girls chose well. Frank and Moose are fine names. I can see the girls yelling "Moooooooooooose!" and a giant dog bounding across the White House lawn. Tell me that's not heart-warming.

Hopefully, Michelle will reconsider. It could be worse, after all. It could be a poodle named Susan.

1 comment:

Craig Miyamoto said...

Heck, I'D name my dog Susan if only the women in my life (mom, wife) would LET me get a dog.