2.09.2009

The first rule of Thai Club: Don't talk about Thai Club!

(Ok, not really. That would be cool though, right?)

Yesterday afternoon, Dr H and I met up with some fellow Indy bloggers for Thai food at Fountain Square's Siam Square. The Thai Club's concept is to try a new Thai restaurant every month around the city. In addition to a great meal, we got to know some really cool people. Can't beat that!

Kurt and I both tried the Masamam Curry. It's a sweet and spicy curry with potatoes, onion, cashews and chicken. I'm a bit weird about chicken in dishes like this, but Siam Square's was tender, flavorful, and not at all funny (you know what I mean - bad chicken is so vile). The sauce is peanut based and reminded me a bit of African peanut soup (recipe forthcoming!). It was quite thin but worked well when poured over rice.

Kurt had the Thom Kah Gai as a starter which is coconut soup with mushrooms, kaffir lime leaves, and scallion. There was also an ingredient no one could identify. Our best guess was eggplant, but the jury is still out. He ordered it hot and thought it was "very spicy" which, coming from him, means it would make a normal person cry. My medium curry was fairly tame, so possibly the spicing is inconsistent? Hard to say.

The restaurant is decorated simply with bright colors, and our server was friendly and attentive. He was knowledgeable about the dishes and great at explaining them which was a big help given that most items on the menu were unfamiliar to me. Even though it's a bit of a drive, Siam Square definitely merits a return visit. I can see myself craving the Masaman Curry, and there are several other items on the menu that I'm itching to try.

While I'm on the topic of Thai Club, let me give a nod to my fellow diners and their blogs. I enjoy your writing (and photography!), and it was great to meet you in person!

Worth Your Attention - Food, fashion, media, and assorted good things
fancypance - Our intrepid organizer! Thank you!
The Heidelberger Papers - Indy in pictures
Urban Indy - Urban development in Indianapolis

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Thanks for the link.

I've come to learn that the spice level in Thai food usually depends on the presence of Thai Basil (thanks to the waiter at Sawasdee for letting me know this). Some dishes have it, some don't, and those that do will always be spicier.

mheidelberger said...

I love Siam Square, which has become my favorite Thai restaurant in town. The turnout was great, but didn't get to talk with everybody. Looking forward to the next Thai lunch.