2.27.2009

My new favorite snack: Spinach and garlic

Yes, this is more of a side dish then a snack, and no, it's not exactly innovative. Nonetheless, the sauteed spinach and garlic I made a couple nights ago was so satisfying that I made a second batch and have been craving it ever since. Plus, it's good for me!

Sauteed spinach and garlic
serves one

2 large handfuls baby spinach
1 T olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped (yes, this is a lot - I'm a garlic fiend)
Salt and pepper
Parmesan for sprinkling

Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until it just starts to turn. Add spinach and stir to coat. When it has cooked down (this happens fairly quickly), add salt and pepper to taste. Serve, topped with Parmesan.

That's it! Happy snacking!

Some studies show that calcium inhibits the absorption of iron from non-meat sources. If this is a concern, skip the cheese and add some crushed red pepper to the garlic while it cooks.

1 comment:

casch said...

Very simple, very easy and sounds delicious. Now why didn't I think of that?