2.03.2009

One more reason to dance

A study in the New England Journal of Medicine found that dancing four times a week or more reduced the risk of dementia by 76%. Other physical activities such as swimming, biking, and climbing stairs offered no benefit. Mental activities such as reading and crosswords offered good protection at 35% and 47% respectively but still fell short of the benefits of frequent dancing. This article speculates that dancing "integrates several brain functions at once, increasing connectivity". However it works, it's good to know my daily workouts are helping my body and my mind.

1 comment:

casch said...

Maybe I need to find out which tapes you use!! I need all the brain stimulus I can get! Of course that wouldn't mean I need a vigorous dance routine! I'm too old for vigorous routines, but I need more stimulus~~ kind of a catch 22, huh? ;)