3.20.2009

Seven Wonders of the Indy Area

Today's Indianapolis Star features a gallery of seven things worth seeing (or tasting) in central Indiana. I can vouch for the pies at Gray Brothers Cafeteria in Mooresville (the only one of the seven I've done), although my family is partial to the banana. The chicken and noodles is my favorite entree, but I don't think we've tried anything there that wasn't good. I call it 'Indiana Grandma' cuisine. Can't beat it.

For me, the most intriguing item is the Pine Hills Nature Preserve in Montgomery County. I've visited Turkey Run and Shades state parks but have never heard of Pine Hills. I enjoy rougher terrain, and the promise of "Indiana's deepest gorges" means this gets added to my list of spring excursions.

3 comments:

Craig Miyamoto said...

The two that grabbed my attention are the Twisted House, and the Audubon prints. Both are examples of how a person's mind works -- one in a creative way, and one in a preservationist way.

mheidelberger said...

Never heard of Pine Hills either; I surprised that Shades or Turkey Run didn't make the list, although Pine Hills looks to be pretty rugged! I've actually seen the elephant in Fortville, although its been years...

Kevin said...

Just caught this, but I highly, highly recommend Pine Hills. I've been there a half a dozen times at least. I think I've seen a grand total of about 20 people there. Shoot, the secret's out now!