6.21.2009

Beginner's pie crust

I was intimidated by pie crust, but this method is easy and foolproof.

Beginner's pie crust
makes a top and bottom crust

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening
5-6 T cold water

In a food processor, combine flour, shortening, and salt. Blend until pea size chunks form. While processing, sprinkle in 1 T cold water at a time until the dough forms a ball. Wrap the dough in cling wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Divide the dough in half, and roll it out between two sheets of wax paper.

Shortening is recommended for beginners because it is easier to work with than butter. An all shortening crust will be more tender but less flavorful than one made with butter.

2 comments:

Craig Miyamoto said...

Ahem ... I buy mine frozen at the supermarket. I am soooo lazy!

casch said...

you This is the same recipe I USED to use, you know, when I USED to bake! :)