6.24.2009

The best movie I've seen in ages

I've had a run of bad movies lately, so it came as a surprise when a documentary bucked the trend and had me totally engrossed the other evening. Man On Wire tells the story of Philippe Petit's amazing, insane, and illegal tightrope walk between the twin towers of the World Trade Center in 1974. The story is told as a heist movie using both footage from the time and recreations. While the fate of the WTC looms over the picture, the events of 9/11 are never mentioned. Even though I wonder about Petit's reaction, I think it was a smart decision to keep the movie focused on the tightrope walk. The achievement is remarkable in so many ways. Everything from the mental control and concentration it would take to venture across the rope to the intricate plans needed to gain access to the buildings and set up the rope seems nearly impossible. Several times I found myself pausing the dvd to say to Kurt, "I can't believe this really happened!" Petit isn't an entirely sympathetic character, but I can't help but admire his boldness and determination.

My rating: 10/10

1 comment:

Craig Miyamoto said...

I can't watch this without getting the squinchies! How does he do that anyway?