6.28.2009

Freaky cleaning tip

I'm clumsy. Very clumsy. There's nothing I can't spill, break, or bump into. It's a gift. So it was no surprise when I spilled olive oil all over the kitchen counter and myself. I cleaned the counter, threw my jeans in the wash, and didn't think anymore of it ... until the jeans came out of the dryer and had a giant olive oil stain on them. You'd think I'd know how to treat a grease stain, but somehow I've managed to avoid that particular hazard all these years.

My reading indicated that once dried the stain was set and there was very little to do. I found one freaky suggestion to wash them again in hot water with a can of Coca-Cola and detergent. Figuring I couldn't make things worse, I dumped the last 10% of Kurt's 2 liter of Coke in the washer and gave it a go. The amazing thing: it worked! There might be a very faint shadow of the stain, but it is unnoticeable to anyone not looking for it. Unbelievable! I was certain I'd end up with a grease stain and a soda stain, but they look great. Of course, anyone sensible would just treat the grease stain up front with dishwashing soap or shampoo, but it's good to know there's a back up for stains that slip through and become set. Hurrah for Coke!

Photo by Ikescs

1 comment:

Craig Miyamoto said...

I knew I liked Coke, but never thought it would take out an olive oil stain! Hurray for you!