8.27.2009

Would you stop?

The scene: You pass through the DC metro on your way to work. Just inside the doors, a young man with shaggy brown hair plays the violin. It's classical music, maybe not something you immediately recognize. Do you stop and listen or hurry past?

What you don't know: The young man is acclaimed violinist (and IU alum!) Joshua Bell. His violin is a 1710 Stradivarius, considered among the most acoustically perfect ever made and valued at over $3 million. The music is Bach's Chaconne, widely thought to be one of the greatest pieces of music ever composed.

So, do you stop? Check out this article and watch the video below to find out what happened when The Washington Post set up just this experiment.

5 comments:

TMC said...

I don't think I'd stop. Not that I wouldn't notice and appreciate the music and how it moves other people to stop and enjoy it. I'm just not a stop & watch sort of gal. I'd keep moving with whatever notions or thoughts the music inspired in me as I swept by.

Virginia @ Where You Hang Your Hat said...

Thank you so much for posting this article! Very interesting read. I'd be running late, probably, so I wouldn't stop but I would crane my neck to see for as long as I could.

Craig Miyamoto said...

Yes, I'd stop. I always stop to listen to street musicians. I've stopped in Washington DC, in Seattle, in Las Vegas, in San Francisco, and in Chicago, just to name a few places. And I always leave a tip for them. Playing beautiful music is hard work and their sharing it with me deserves a reward.

BlondesPoopMascara.blogspot.com said...

I read about this having happened just yesterday but hadn't seen the video or Wash Post piece. Thanks for posting. -- As for me, I would likely stop. I'm a major sucker for the violin. If it was most any other instrument, I would have likely kept moving and thought something like "Too bad that guy's homeless. He has some skills. Someone should help him." -Mr. Blonde (working on being "Someone" more every day)

Rebecca said...

I'm like Craig ~ I always stop to listen to street musicians or watch street performers. Quality determines how long I linger. Given how much I enjoy the clip from the Washington Post, I might have been there quite a while with Joshua Bell playing. :)