9.17.2009

Get your fiction on

The National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) will begin this November 1st. The goal is to write a 50,000 word novel by November 30th. Last year 119,301 people participated with 21,683 people completing the challenge (verified by a word count on the website). Several novels found publishers, and one even became a New York Times bestseller. The thinking behind the concept is that it can be healthy for a writer to focus on on quantity rather than quality for a period of time. Here's how the website puts it:

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down.

I'm tempted, but I worry that the wedding, mini-honeymoon, and Thanksgiving might leave me with only three weeks (or less) to write. I still might sign up. As a relentless tweaker, it would be good practice in letting go and seeing where the process takes me. Anyone want to join me?

ETA: Kurt persuaded me that trying in November is a bad idea (understatement). So, I have declared October ReNoWriMo! Wish me luck!

Photo by Lin Kristensen via Wikimedia Commons

2 comments:

Craig Miyamoto said...

Good luck! I've started a novel four times, but had to start over each time. The only beginning I could put down on paper was ... "It was a dark and stormy night, and a chilling scream pierced the castle darkness."

Rebecca said...

Innovative! ;)