11.01.2009

Oh, the irony

I don't like poetry. I've said this frequently and fervently for nearly three decades. When we had to write poems for a young authors' assignment in seventh grade, I penned "Ode to a Cheeseball" in rebellion (I got an A on the project. The teacher said she enjoyed the absurdity. Sigh ...). I have called poetry 'nonsense', 'jibberish', and gleefully quoted Tom Wolfe's scathing essay on modern poets.

So I've been as surprised as anyone at my recent poetic output. Poems come at writing group, in response to prompts, and sometimes out of the blue. I'll often want to write prose, but all my mind produces is poem after poem. Even worse, I enjoy it. The shame! The horror! I created (un)modern verse to house the results of my newfound obsession. If you'd like to read some poetry (or maybe just bear witness to the destruction of my identity), please check it out.

6 comments:

Susan Lawson said...

Be careful what you despise....

Rebecca said...

The universe loves to make me eat my words. Humble pie ... mmmmm ...

TMC said...

I'm not one much for poetry either. Poems that interest me an few and far between.

Rebecca said...

TMC ~ Have you ever read Rumi? He's fast becoming a favorite of mine. Lalleshwari as well. I love the mystic poets.

Craig Miyamoto said...

You've written some good stuff.

Rebecca said...

Thanks Craig!