6.21.2010

Breaking news: Snowball is a girl car

Snowball
Can't say I didn't see this coming. A recent study found that Honda CR-Vs (like my beloved Snowball) are more apt to be registered to women than to men. Other "girl cars" were the Volkswagen Beetle, Hyundai Tuscon, and Nissan Rogue.

While none of this was exactly news, a couple of the findings were surprising to me. First, where's the mini-van? Surely, the ultimate "mom car" would have more female registrations than male ones. I bet this is because only 36% of cars in the US are registered to women, meaning not all drivers are technically car owners. Perhaps families like to keep it simple by having all of the car registrations in one name? Maybe men are more apt to "take one for the team" and handle the unpleasantness of car buying for the family?

The second fact that surprised me was that the Bugatti (a sportscar - for those of you like myself who had never heard of one) was owned exclusively by men in the US. 100%. You don't see numbers like that very often. I wonder how long until a woman with $200k to spare changes that.

2 comments:

casch said...

There definitely are girlie cars. I probably drive one myself and I'm ok with it too!

Craig Miyamoto said...

A girlie car? Rats. Now I'm going to have to return it to the dealership. :D