7.12.2010

Charlie the chickpea?

Late last night I had a craving for tuna salad but couldn't find a can of tuna in the pantry. (Of course, I found it this afternoon. Sigh.) I recently received a recipe for "mock tuna salad," and since I could find the chickpeas, I decided to give that a go.

I use the term recipe loosely. It's really as simple as replacing the tuna with smashed chickpeas and then proceeding as you normally would for tuna salad. In my case, this meant adding 2 T mayo, 1 T Dijon mustard, 1 t sweet relish, salt, pepper, and a little onion to one can of rinsed, drained, and smashed chickpeas.

The dish certainly looked like tuna salad - eerily so! While the taste wasn't exactly the same, the texture was very close. Spread it on toast, add a slice of lettuce, and you've got a remarkable facsimile of the original. Next time I'll add a slice of cheese and try it as a not-tuna melt.

Photo by Endless Simmer

1 comment:

Craig Miyamoto said...

Hey, that might be worth trying the next time I want a tuna sammich and can only find a can of chickpeas!