8.28.2010

The $8 experiment

One upside to moving is that it forces you to sort through everything and makes clear what you do not own. In my case: a back-up pair of glasses.

Last fall, my dad ordered a pair of glasses from Zenni Optical and said they were a great deal. He claimed that I could get a pair of basic prescription glasses for only $8.

$8!

Since my glasses normally run $200+ per pair, I was skeptical about a pair this cheap. $8 is the cost of two lattes or a cheap t-shirt. At the very least, I assumed the selection at that price would be limited and/or scary.

Wrong! They have well over a hundred frames at each price point ($8, $9.95, $12.95, and $15.95) and many cute styles, even in the $8 section. I favorited a few pairs, narrowed it down by size, and settled on a pair of red cat's eye shaped frames. I figure for $8, I might as well have some fun.

Since shipping is only $5 for the entire order, I decided to add a pair of black Jackie O sunglasses for a whole $12.95, tint and all.

In searching for reviews about Zenni, I discovered that there's a whole world of discount internet eyeglass sellers. Not everyone has them for $8, but even at $19 or $39, they're a steal compared to the traditional options. Some sites even allow you to upload a picture and "try on" frames before you order. Who knew?!

My glasses should arrive in about 2 weeks. I'll post results when they get here. Stay tuned!

Photo by Grace

3 comments:

casch said...

I love a good deal! I recall trying to find glasses for my daughter when she needed reading glasses in jr. hi. Oh Mercy! We went to every store in town because she could not find any she liked! It would have been so much easier to pick several pair for $8 !! Where were they when I needed them?

mheidelberger said...

Great price! I wonder if the price is flexible with prescription. I seem to have a complicated prescription that seems to drive the price of lenses up astronomically everywhere I go.

Craig Miyamoto said...

I'm awaiting the results quite anxiously. Maybe I can say goodbye to $400 glasses?